We survived.

I think that Aubryn might even have fared better than I did.   It was pretty traumatic for me.

My day started at 5:20 (like it usually does) but this morning I felt more of a sense of urgency.  I got myself up and ready and then got Aubryn up around 6:00.  She was not allowed to have any milk or other fluids this morning so she was a bit c-r-a-n-k-y.  Not just fussy.  More like “I am going to scream until you give me some milk and if that doesn’t work, I am going to cry ‘mama, mama’ in my most pathetic voice until you let me have my cup.”  Fun times – really.

Around 6:20, Aubryn and I left the house and Tom drove separately so that he could make his Dunkin’ Donuts coffee run.  Obviously he did not learn his lesson when I was in labor with Aubryn.  We only had to go to the CHOP outpatient surgery center in Exton and we were there in about 10 to 15 minutes.  I am so incredibly blessed to have, not only the premier children’s hospital in the country close by, but, a satellite office for it practically in my back yard.  Every time that we are there, I end up talking to another parent who has had to travel a great distance to get there.  We are very fortunate.

As soon as we got there, a nurse checked us in and took Aubryn and me back to a changing area where I changed Aubryn into a tiny little hospital gown and scrub pants and tiny little grippy socks.  (I totally meant to bring my camera but completely forgot it this morning).  Before we were even done with that, another nurse arrived and took us into the pre-op room where she weighed and measured Aubryn and asked me a gazillion and one questions about Aubryn’s medical history.  The nice nurse then gave Aubryn some medicine to make her “happy.”  They give this to all of the babies before taking them into surgery but my child especially needed it as she was still whining for milk – even doing sign language for it.

Next the anesthesiologist came in to talk to us.  She was a wonderful, gentle woman.  She asked me a million and one questions about not only Aubryn’s medical history but also about my own medical history as well as TK4’s medical history and the history of our families – including parents, siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.  The ENT also came in to talk to us.

We did not have to sign any consent forms before the surgery which really surprised me.  I signed some forms when we were at the appointment a few weeks ago when we were told that Aubryn would need tubes but I did not have to sign anything before the surgery today.  Maybe it’s the recovering medical-malpractice defense attorney in me (I don’t do that kind of work anymore – thank goodness – I just did not have the stomach for it), but I would have thought that we would need to sign more forms.

After the anesthesiologist left us, another nurse came over to carry Aubryn into the operating room.  Part of the reason for the “happy medicine” is so that the children don’t cry when they are leaving their parents to go into the operating room.  Not my child.  My child screamed for me as the nurse took her away.  It just about broke my heart.

The surgery itself did not take long and Aubryn was only gone from me for about 20 minutes.  As soon as she was in the recovery room, a nurse came and got me.  Aubryn was screaming when I got into the recovery room.  Typically, they like the children to sleep for about a half hour after the surgery and then the nurses wake them up.  Aubryn was awake before they even got her all of the way into the recovery room.  The nurses were really sweet and let me hold her and give her a bottle of apple juice (which was a real treat for Aubryn – juice and a bottle!  Her mean mom does not let her have either!).

After about 1/2 hour in the recovery room, we were discharged.  I did have to sign some paperwork before leaving…  Aubryn slept on the way home and has been asleep most of the afternoon.  By tomorrow, she should be her old self again.  We have a follow-up in six weeks and another hearing test at that time.  Her hearing is expected to be normal.  I pray and am very hopeful that this will end the sickness that we have endured for the past six months!

Published in: on February 16, 2009 at 7:22 pm  Comments (5)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://themommyesquire.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/we-survived/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

5 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. AW! I hope so too, poor little baby. I think both of my kids would do exactly as she did and scream as they were taken away from us, regardless of happy drugs. That’s mostly a good thing in my eyes, although it IS very sad when it happens! Hope her recovery continues to go smoothly. For both of you.

  2. Aww, it’s so hard to watch them be wheeled away. We had David at CHOP for surgery when he was a year old. He didn’t throw a fit, thank goodness, but it was so pitiful. He nursed for like 2 hours STRAIGHT when he was all done. Poor baby.

    I hope the results are all you hope them to be!

  3. glad all went well. she’s a tough cookie. LMAO at TK4.

  4. Hope she’s feeling better soon. How scary!

  5. i can’t imagine watching her be wheeled away! you poor things!!
    i really hope this helps and that she is back to herself in no time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: